Vice President of U.S. Government Relations, Intel Corporation
Hometown: East Lyme, Conn.
- MA, George Washington University, 2003
- BA, government, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, 1998
Selected work history
- Vice President of U.S. Government Relations, Intel Corporation, 2020-present
- Executive Director of Government Relations, Raytheon Technologies, 2014-2020
- Principal, Mehlman Castagnetti Rosen & Thomas Inc., 2008-2014
- Vice President of Global-Supply-Chain Policy, Retail Industry Leaders Association, 2006-2008
- Senior Professional Staff Member, U.S. House of Representatives, 2003-2006
- U.S. Coast Guard, 1998-2003
Allen Thompson brings his varied experience in the Coast Guard and as a congressional insider to Intel, where as the vice president of government relations, he serves as an expert on the intersection of national security and emerging technology.
Working closely on the national security response to the 9/11 attacks, he says, taught him to take a pragmatic, forward-looking view of security issues. He considers himself a “strategic thinker and political junkie rolled into one.“
Thompson earned his bachelor’s degree from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in 1998. After 9/11, he worked with the Transportation Department in the largest maritime-security operation since World War II to shore up ports and trading routes.
He took his service experience to Capitol Hill after earning his master’s degree from George Washington University in 2003, becoming one of the original Democratic staffers on the Select Committee on Homeland Security. There, he helped write and pass the 2006 SAFE Port Act to authorize international-supply-chain-security programs.
Before joining Intel, Thompson worked for the Retail Industry Leaders Association and Mehlman Castagnetti Rosen & Thomas, and he was executive director of government relations at Raytheon.
He’s a board member of the Faith and Politics Institute, the bipartisan organization closely associated with the late Rep. John Lewis’s civil-rights pilgrimages to Alabama.
This report is brought to you by our Vignette research team. Vignette, by National Journal, is a new database service, which now includes 10,000 in-depth profiles on policymakers and influencers at the federal, state, and local levels. Sign up to access profiles at njvignette.com.